Tuesday, October 21, 2008

California Dreamin' On Such A Winter's Day

I don't really have much to update you all on BUT allow me to briefly indulge in some self-promotion. I recently discovered that I made the Dean's List last semester at Scripps! For those who don't know, the Dean's List is the equivalent of High Honor Roll in college. You can click here to see for yourself (I'm listed under Juniors even though it was my sophomore year - something to do with credits). I was/am so thrilled about this! I feel very motivated to do well for the rest of my Scripps career and hopefully beyond that!

The weather has become increasingly colder and windier. I've been told this is only the beginning and it gets much worse. Yikes! I mean, its already around freezing temperatures and its only the middle of October. Its not even winter! Also, the rain is relentless. My friends and I think that Scotland has a daily rain quota that must be kept at all costs. I don't think we've seen a day when it hasn't rained, even if it is only for five minutes while the sun is shining. I think I might have to invest in an actual jacket - I don't think my sweatshirts and pea coat will cut it (plus one of the buttons fell off and its one of the ones I actually use to button the coat). The winds have been really fierce lately. I'm actually surprised my face isn't wind-burnt (you know that sunburn look people tend to get after some skiing... not too cute). The way the wind whips through the trees actually kind of reminds me of the way the ocean sounds when you're on the beach. Sometimes I close my eyes, listen to the wind in the trees and imagine myself on a beautiful beach. And sometimes it works.

Despite the fact that it is quite cold, I am really enjoying it. The air smells crisp and fresh and I'm already prepped for Christmas! I've even busted out my holiday tunes. I know, that's a little excessive but this is the first winter in 2 years that I've been able to fully experience - southern California doesn't really get cold weather and I have always associated the lead-up to Christmas with the cold weather. So I'm actually very excited. Apparently Christmas is huge here too so that is SPECTACULAR.

I've talked with a few of my friends and I think travel to mainland Europe and Ireland is being seriously considered and will happen sometime in the near future. I really want to go to Germany around Christmastime. Its supposed to look like a Christmas card... and we all know how much I LOVE everything even remotely related to Christmas. For now I'm in Edinburgh enduring rain, wind and freezing temperatures but loving every minute of it.

4 comments:

Mollie said...

I wish we would get some cold weather. It has been in the 90s here and it's seriously starting to drive me crazy! I want to wear a scarf and a sweater and drink hot cider!

Now I'm obviously biased, but if you want to go to a ridiculous Christmas wonderland, Norway is the place to be. Christmas is a HUGE deal and all the stores put out giant red candles and decorate and a lot of the towns drape giant wreaths and tinsel across the buildings. It's like a holiday postcard all the time :)

Mollie said...

In case you need more convincing, a photo of my idyllic homeland:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2153/2213215235_7dbf6075d0.jpg?v=0

Sim said...

First of all, Congratulations on getting Dean's List! Yay!

Second, of course it's called fancy dress. Only Americans say ridiculous things like costume parties. Sheesh Seriously.

Third, I want to see a picture of White Heath.

Glad to hear you're having fun! We miss you here at Scripps!

soso said...

oh sweetie!! i wish it was cold here. i just realized today that i have been wearing summer clothes since may, and its almost november and the 90 degree days look like they are never leaving. enjoi that wonderful wind, at least you have some variation